KeyPenX: Use Surface Pen to control Microsoft PowerPoint, record audio, take camera snapshots, sequence of images and much more.
You can buy KeyPenX from Microsoft Store:
See it in action:
Control full desktop version of PowerPoint 2016 with Surface Pen! Supported PowerPoint actions: next slide, previous slide, start slideshow from the beginning, start slideshow from current slide.
Assign secondary actions when PowerPoint is not running. Supported secondary actions: OneNote Universal, OneNote Desktop, Cortana, Windows Ink Workspace, start classic app, short audio recording, camera snapshot or sequence of images.
System requirements: Microsoft Surface device, Surface Pen, Windows 10 Anniversary Update (experimental support for Windows 10 S), full desktop version of PowerPoint 2016 / Office 365.
Will it work with non-Surface devices and pens? As long as your device and pen are supported in Windows Pen Settings, you should be able to use KeyPenX.
For all Surface devices compatible with Surface Pen it is possible to assign custom actions when you press the top button, for example opening OneNote or launching various other applications. With KeyPenX you can also assign PowerPoint controlling actions – go to the next slide when you click pen button once, previous slide when you double click and start slideshow, when you press and hold the button. Essentially, KeyPenX turns your Surface Pen into PowerPoint remote control and it is also the very first Windows Store application allowing you to do so!
If you are an active Surface Pen user, especially if you are a teacher or a presenter frequently using PowerPoint and handwriting notes on your slides, it is extremely convenient way of advancing presentations using Surface Pen only. What is unique about KeyPenX? It is also possible to assign secondary actions when PowerPoint is not running. After presenting you don’t have to go back to your Surface system settings and change pen shortcuts to their default behavior.
How it works
During the first launch KeyPenX makes a new sub-folder “KeyPenX” in your “Documents” folder and generates three shortcuts “KeyPenX-SingleClick.lnk”, “KeyPenX-DoubleClick.lnk” and “KeyPenX-PressHold.lnk”.
Follow instructions in KeyPenX main window and assign those file shortcuts to pen shortcuts in system Pen settings:
It is really up to your preference, which action should be assigned to which Pen shortcut. For example, your system’s Pen settings might look like this:
New in 1.3:
- Camera preview during taking snapshots.
- Take image sequences, up to 20 images.
- Updated instructions for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
New in 1.2:
- Individual configuration options for Surface Pen actions when PowerPoint is running and when it’s not.
- New PowerPoint action: start slideshow from current slide.
- New standard actions: OneNote Desktop, Windows Ink Workspace.
- New KeyPenX actions: short audio recording up to 30 sec, take a snapshot from Surface camera.
- More logical naming of KeyPenX file shortcuts in “Documents\KeyPenX” folder, new names are: “KeyPenX-SingleClick.lnk”, “KeyPenX-DoubleClick.lnk” and “KeyPenX-PressHold.lnk”.
- Experimental support for Windows 10 S.